The day after the meeting at Sewell’s, Eteo was back in his office dealing with his typical routine: a discussion with John the compliance manager, a few trades on Platinum’sstock, now trading at over a dollar, and phone calls to a dozen or so of his clients to persuade them to stay with Platinuma bit longer. When this was all done, Eteo called Mitch Cohen and asked him to come see him. Mitch was one of Logan’s old high school pals who had stayed close to Logan after graduation and who admired Logan for settling into a well-paying career so soon after leaving school. He had asked Logan many times to help him get involved in something to do with public companies.

When Eteo had split up with Mario, he had organized an office to house the companies he was involved with by subletting space from a friend who had leased one whole floor in a Dunsmuir Street tower and had a few spaces free. Eteo had incorporated a management company with Mitch as president. The management company charged the shell companies 3,000 per month for office space and management services, reasonable fees by the standards in Vancouver those days, but it meant that if Eteo housed just two companies in the same office, Mitch would have plenty of money to look after things and then some. And Eteo always had at least two companies on the go, since every time one company was sold to new buyers, he would put together a new one using the profits from the sale and recruiting most of the same shareholders every time. You could call it a factory of companies, an acceptable practice in those days, and the commissions were equally steady.

As a result, Mitch had a good income and was involved in a game he liked, while Eteo had someone he could trust looking after the daily affairs of his small shell companies. The work mainly involved answering the phone and sending reports to the authorities and news releases to the media. The expenses amounted to little more than buying a desk, a couple of chairs, a coffee table, a phone, a computer, and a filing cabinet, six or seven thousand dollars in total, which hardly made a dent in the treasury of one public company but ensured a smooth operation, nevertheless.